city of Ironton was founded in 1849 and was built in
the heart of Hanging Rock Region, once the largest center
of pig iron in the world. As a terminal on the Iron
Railroad and as a shipping port on the Ohio River, Ironton
grew rapidly, becoming the county seat of Lawrence County,
Ohio, in 1851.
Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad could trace its history
back to the southern point of the railroad at Ironton.
The Iron Railway was incorporated in 1849 to haul mineral
products from the fields of Lawrence County (Ohio) to
the Ohio River city of Ironton. The line opened in late
1851 and is one of the earliest rail lines to operate
in the state. It made a northern rail contact later
with a predecessor of the Toledo, Cincinnati & St. Louis,
a "super system" consisting of many smaller lines. Barge
service to the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway yard across
the river in Russell, Kentucky provided another outlet
of interchange for the Iron Railway, as did its connection
with the Norfolk & Western at Ironton.
Detroit Southern Railway acquired the Iron Railway in
1902. The great success of the iron industry and its
allied manufacturing created men of great wealth. The
affluence of those early days is reflected in many of
Irontonís homes and churches, attractive reminders of
a gracious Victorian life-style.
city is famous for having the longest running (continuous)
Memorial Day Parade in the country. 138 years in a row!
Here to view pictures of the 138th running of the
Memorial Day Parade in Ironton.
additional information try these links:
of Lawrence County
Iron Furnaces of Lawrence County
to top ^