The City of Ironton
Katrina Keith, Benefit Specialist
Ironton City Center, 301 south 3rd St., P.O. Box 704, Ironton, OH 45638
Phone: (740) 532-3833 - Fax: (740) 532-7556 - email:
Job Description - Class III Water Plant Supervisor
1) Controls treatment plant machines and equipment to purify and clarify water for human consumption and for industrial use: Operates and controls electric motors, pumps, and valves to regulate flow of raw water into treating plant.
2) Dumps specified amounts of chemicals, such as chlorine, ammonia, and lime into water or adjusts automatic devices that admit specified amounts of chemicals into tanks to disinfect, deodorize, and clarify water.
3) Starts agitators to mix chemicals and allows impurities to settle to bottom of tank.
4) Turns valves to regulate water through filter beds to remove impurities.
5) Pumps purified water into water mains.
6) Monitors panelboard and adjusts controls to regulate flow rates, loss of head pressure and water elevation, and distribution of water.
7) Cleans tanks and filter beds, using backwashing.
8) Repairs and lubricates machines and equipment, using handtools and power tools.
9) Tests water samples to determine acidity, color, and impurities, using colorimeter, turbidimeter, and conductivity meter.
10) Adds chemicals such, as alum into tanks to coagulate impurities and to reduce acidity.
11) Records data, such as residual content of chemicals, water turbidity, and water pressure.
12) May operate portable water-purification plant to supply drinking water.
In addition to water plant operations, Class III Water Plant Supervisor will oversee the daily work assignments for the Water Distribution Department and Water Administration Office.
●He/she must be able to communicate with the public as well as staff.
●Must have the ability to resolve problems and complaints that arise in a diplomatic manner.
●Must be knowledgeable of equipment and tools necessary to operate the Distribution Department. (ie: fittings, meters, mains, bolt joints, cover up pipes)
●Effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, individuals from other organizations, and citizen/customers. ●He/she must be able to address utility billing issues, and professionally assist with discrepancies